The electronic message board sign illumination shall not exceed 0.3 foot-candles over ambient lighting condition. File image
The Spartanburg City Council approved an ordinance allowing limited use of LED digital for city businesses and institutions. The specific requirements are as follows:
- Only "monument" signs 6 feet and shorter can contain digital signage.
- The digital signage cannot occupy more than 30 percent of the sign.
- Messages must remain static for 15 seconds.
- Signs with electronic message boards must include an element of landscaping at the base of the sign.
- No messages may be displayed from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- The electronic message board sign illumination shall not exceed 0.3 foot-candles over ambient lighting condition.
- Illumination measured at the nearest residential structure or rear yard setback line shall not exceed the moon’s potential ambient illumination of 0.1 foot-candle.
- The sign’s leading edge should be no closer than 100 feet from any single-family residential property line
For more information about this ordinance and its implications, listen to the podcast episode featuring City Senior Planner Natalia Rosario.
Want to get notified whenever we write about City of Spartanburg, SC ?
Sign-up Next time we write about City of Spartanburg, SC, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.