The Spartanburg City Council approved an ordinance allowing limited use of LED digital for city businesses and institutions. The specific requirements are as follows:
- Only "monument" signs 6 feet and shorter can contain digital signage.
- The digital signage cannot occupy more than 30 percent of the sign.
- Messages must remain static for 15 seconds.
- Signs with electronic message boards must include an element of landscaping at the base of the sign.
- No messages may be displayed from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.
- The electronic message board sign illumination shall not exceed 0.3 foot-candles over ambient lighting condition.
- Illumination measured at the nearest residential structure or rear yard setback line shall not exceed the moon’s potential ambient illumination of 0.1 foot-candle.
- The sign’s leading edge should be no closer than 100 feet from any single-family residential property line
For more information about this ordinance and its implications, listen to the podcast episode featuring City Senior Planner Natalia Rosario.